Kairos-Milwaukie United Church of Christ

Photo: (c) iStock.com / DawidKasza (image #28035110)

Milwaukie United Church of Christ

The Milwaukie Congregational UCC had its beginnings in the 1890’s when the Ardenwald neighborhood of Milwaukie, Oregon was known as Willsburg, and the entire area was covered with woods. With a grant from the Congregational Church Building Society, and the proceeds from one farmer’s entire crop of strawberries, ground was broken, dreams were planted and building began.

Today, over a century later many dreams have been planted and taken root, including friendship, support. The congregation provided resettlement assistance for over twenty refugee families from Cambodia and Viet Nam. The congregation started the Logus Road Preschool, which has nurtured families for over 35 years. Adjacent to the church on property donated by the congregation, Northwest Housing Alternatives constructed Swan House, originally an adult foster care facility for persons living with HIV, and Madrona House, serving as a residence for drug affected women with children.

Kairos United Church of Christ

Kairos UCC was founded in 1984. From the basement of the Lewis and Clark Chapel, to the gym at the Franciscan Renewal Center, this nomadic congregation has been deeply committed to living the gospel in word and deed through ministries with the homeless, street youth, drug-affected men and women, and mission support to people and programs in Nicaragua, Cuba and Guatemala.

Two Become One

Kairos-Milwaukie United Church of Christ became one congregation in 1999. In our new life together as one church community we have found kinship and understanding, and new strength to serve the cause of Christ.